Sunday, December 9, 2012

Lions Vs. Packers Homepage Design

Tonight the Lions and the Packers are facing off at legendary Lambeau field. The score is tied right now as we go into the 4th quarter so this one can still go either way. The better homepage design of each team's official website is also a close call at this point. Let's take a closer look...

http://www.detroitlions.com


First, here is the homepage of the visiting team, the Detroit Lions. I really hate when ads are placed above the team's own logo on their own website, but unfortunately, this is done all the time on NFL sites. Boooooo. Otherwise, the site seems to be strong in terms of content and usability. I like that the scoreboard is prominent and the top stories area is full of a great mix of articles, videos and various content. The branding on the site is not particularly strong however. The photo of the player on the background of the site is not exciting in my opinion mostly because he is not in an action posture. This site is mostly just mediocre to me from a design perspective, but I do acknowledge the great content and organized layout.



Here we have the Green Bay Packers homepage. Again, boooooo on the ads above the site's masthead.  The masthead on this site includes the team they are playing, the Detroit Lions. It also includes a huge "Shopko" sponsor logo which seems to me like a waste because I have no idea what Shopko is and nothing about the logo being right there makes me the least bit interested in finding out. The right column features an "Ask Vic" graphic in an odd shade of red that seems out of place on this site. The score board is underneath the top stories area and in my opinion should definitely be above it since that is the most important information while a game is in progress. I am surprised to not see any social media links placed above the fold. This site seems to be a bit confused when it comes to prioritizing it's content. The branding is mediocre on this site as well because nothing is particularly exciting or interesting to me. 

S.O.D. Homepage Design: Green Bay Packers VS Detroit Lions- 

WINNER- DETROIT LIONS

Now, you decide....

Poll: Which team has the better home page design?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one. It has given me courage to try scarier things. I tend to steer clear of them but not anymore.
    http://packersmovershyderabadcity.in/
    We are one of driving and trusted online entrance giving you free citations from #top #packers and #movers organizations in #Hyderabad and other real urban communities and towns of India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete