Thursday, June 12, 2014

The 2014 World Cup Logo looks depressed and in a face palm position… you agree?

Today is the big day! FIFA World Cup Brazil begins with the first match!

Since #SOD is all about sports creative, especially logos, I thought I would express a recent observation about the 2014 World Cup logo design. I know I am not the first one to have noticed this,  but take a look and see if you agree with me:


The green hand shapes to me look like a side-parted hair line, and the yellow hand in relation to the hair looks like a full blown face palm.  So ironic for a nation that is so lively and vibrant, no? But what could this mean for the games? Hopefully it's not any indication of a depressing World Cup for me, but that of course depends on the scores! USA! USA! USA!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I've been thinking about this and how it illustrates the difficulty of creating a design that works for all media. If you watch the TV coverage, it's clear the WC logo was conceived for video first: It's dynamic and "comes together" in a short motion sequence. Check out the 4 second animation at 0:19 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZgrvBadvtU

    In that context, it's effective and meaningful. Freezing the last frame to make a still version is what creates the cognitive dissonance you're describing. I can see mandating an animated GIF version for online use, but what about print?

    This is going to be a bigger issue as more and more media think "digital first." What would you do?

    ReplyDelete